Important societal non-profit based in DC seeks PR expert to lead media relations & external communications across issues
TorchLight Hire is seeking a highly talented and experienced Media Relations Director to join a non-profit based in Washington, DC. This management role will be a leader in shaping the external stories being told about the organization’s mission across many mediums. Qualified candidates will have a MINIMUM of 12 years of integrated communications experience, preferably coming from a non-profit or advocacy-focused background.
Qualified applicants are in the Washington, D.C. or Northern VA areas. U.S. citizenship or a permanent residency card in the U.S. is required to be an eligible candidate for this opportunity.
Full-time, direct hire role, 40-hours per week. Hybrid position in Washington, DC with additional flexibility to work from home.
- Work with organization’s leadership to devise yearly communications strategy
- Manage media relations across all organizational issues
- Develop and execute crisis communications plans as needed
- Strategize and integrate earned media tactics into appropriate campaigns
- Handle media training for internal staff
- Write and edit media materials
- Directly manage up to five staff
Skills and experience:
- MINIMUM of 12 years of experience in journalism, public relations, and communications; prior experience at a non-profit organization, public relations agency, or political campaign a plus
- Strong track record of planning & executing high impact strategic communications plans across channels
- Strong media relations, issues management, and crisis communications skills
- Strong management experience with prior background leading talented internal teams
- Excellent written and verbal skills
TorchLight Hire matches qualified candidates like you with contract and permanent marketing, communications, creative, and digital roles that are a professional and cultural fit. We offer our contractors industry-leading benefits like medical insurance, 401(k) plans and others.
TorchLight values diversity, equity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, perspectives and experience — including our full-time employees, contractors and clients. Read more about our commitment to diversity.