TorchLight Hire is seeking a Manager of External Communications for a client based in the Northern Virginia area. This role will work as part of an internal communications team responsible for media relations, social media, thought leadership and more. Qualified candidates should have a strong background in integrated communications with demonstrated experience pitching stories and working with consumer media.
Qualified applicants are preferably located in the Washington, D.C. or Baltimore areas. However, fully remote candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. U.S. citizenship or a permanent residency card in the U.S. is required to be an eligible candidate for this opportunity.
Full-time, direct hire role, 40-hours per week with flexible work-from-home (WFH) options.
*This employer has a proof of vaccination (or valid exemption) requirement as condition of employment.
- Support corporate communications and other strategic initiatives as part of internal communications team
- Manage brand reputation and support crisis communications as necessary
- Manage organization’s content program and build an editorial calendar of relevant topics and potential story pitches
- Collaborate with Internal Comms to elevate coverage to internal teams
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with print, online, and broadcast outlets across trade, consumer, local, and national media
- Draft and edit content for use in customer facing materials
- Manage the press release process
- Manage media coverage and trends and prepare results summaries for regular reviews/reports
Skills and experience:
- 6+ years of related experience in strategic communications; background in corporate communications in B2C organization/s preferred
- Demonstrated track record of managing a successful media relations program with targeted examples of story pitching success
- Experience managing integrated communications strategy including working with social media, thought leadership, and content marketing
- Strong level of creativity and entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to develop strong relationships both internally and with external partners and the media
TorchLight Hire matches qualified candidates like you with contract and permanent marketing, communications, creative, and digital roles that are a professional and cultural fit. We offer our contractors industry-leading benefits like medical insurance, 401(k) plans and others.
TorchLight values diversity, equity and inclusion of people of all backgrounds, perspectives and experience — including our full-time employees, contractors and clients. Read more about our commitment to diversity.