Is Your Marketing Team Investing in Podcasts and Live Video?
As you begin to delve into the new year, it’s a good time for your Washington, D.C. marketing team to think about your media mix. You likely know which channels are resonating with your customers and prospective customers, but it’s also important to consider the media you utilize on those channels. If you aren’t keeping up with 2018 social media trends and investing in live video and podcasts, you could find yourself struggling to compete.
Cut Through the Noise With Live Video
It has never been more difficult to capture potential customers’ attention—especially here in the Washington, Northern Virginia and Maryland region where people are busy and the flood of information can feel overwhelming at times. The internet is a crowded, chaotic place where people hop online to check a Facebook notification, then find themselves pulling up a Wikipedia article that leads to shopping for new shoes.
When you’re challenged for attention on every front, it can be a struggle to not only grab someone’s interest, but to hold that interest. For many companies, video is the answer. Live video allows you to tell a story and connect with your audience in real-time, something other outlets can’t accomplish.
Social media has made it simple to utilize live video marketing and on many platforms; it is the most-consumed form of content. Some key stats to keep in mind if you are still not incorporating live video into your marketing mix:
- 80% of people prefer to watch live video from a brand than read a blog
- 82% of people prefer live video from a brand to social posts
- 8% of online audiences are watching video on Facebook Live
- 90% of live video consumers say video quality is an important aspect of live video feeds
- YouTube reports mobile video consumption rises 100% every year
Build Connections and Establish Authority With A Podcast
If live video is so popular, why would marketers think about incorporating voice podcasts in their mix? Because podcast consumption is increasing every year. According to Edison Research:
- 112 million Americans listened to podcasts in 2017, an 11% increase over 2016
- 40% of Americans age 12 or older have listened to a podcast at some point
- 67 million Americans listen to podcasts monthly, up 40% from 2016
- 42 million Americans listen to podcasts weekly, five times more than those who see movies.
- 85% of listeners hear all of a podcast
Podcasts and live video are a strong vehicle for promotion because they build connections with fans who are truly interested in what you do and what you have to say. Podcasts build instant credibility and authority, which can take years to develop through more traditional mediums. (And with so many DC customers stuck in traffic or commuting long distances, they’re eager for compelling content to listen to while in transit!)
Looking for experienced marketing recruiters to meet your search, staffing and job search needs? We’re here to help!